Schoolboy killed over seniorjunior feud

first_imgMd Hasan. Photo collected from FacebookA schoolboy was stabbed to death due to dispute between local ‘senior group’ and ‘junior group’ at Chandni Ghat of Chakbazar in Old Dhaka early Saturday, reports UNB.The victim is Md Hasan, a JSC candidate of Islambagh Ideal School.Hasan, son of Mohammad Ali, was residing at 20 Hazi Rahim Box Lane of Posta in Lalbagh.Quoting the father of the victim, sources at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) said one Ali, 15, allegedly stabbed Hasan centring dispute between ‘senior group’ and ‘junior group’ at Chandni Ghat Shishu Hospital Goli at around 9:00pm on Friday.He was rushed to DMCH with fatal injuries where he succumbed to his injuries at around 4:30am, said ASI Babul Miah of DMCH police camp.last_img read more

3 more Bangladeshi women in Sri Lanka drug trafficking

first_imgHeroin packets in a Colombo flat. File PhotoDuring recent investigations by Sri Lanka’s enforcement agencies, so far 6 Bangladeshis have been found involved in drug smuggling there. On 31 December the Sri Lankan police had mentioned three Bangladeshis were involved in drug trafficking, including one woman. They are being held in custody in Colombo.Three more Bangladeshis have now been named as part of the drug smuggling scam. All three of them are women.The Sri Lankan authorities have informed Bangladesh than these Bangladeshi nationals have been travelling between Dhaka, Colombo and Kuala Lumpur. Sri Lanka’s law enforcement agencies believe that more Bangladeshis are likely to be involved in this smuggling.According to Colombo’s immigration authorities, the three Bangladeshi women are Shaheena Akhter, Rehana Akhter and Tania.Shaheena Akhter has visited Colombo at least 10 times between 30 March 2017 and 16 December 2018. She sometimes travelled from Kuala Lumpur to Colombo and then back to Dhaka or, at times, back to Kuala Lumpur.Or sometimes it was from Dhaka to Colombo and back to Dhaka. During those 19 moths she basically travelled around these three destinations by either  Sri Lankan Airlines or Malinda Air.The Sri Lankan authorities informed the Bangladesh high commission in Colombo that Shaheena Akhter was in regular contact over phone with a Bangladeshi in Australia. She is not in Sri Lanka at present and they do not know the present whereabouts of the other two women.Sri Lanka’s largest drug haul in the country’s recent history was last month, on 31 December. Two Bangladeshis were caught and arrested in the haul – Mohammed Jamaluddin of Bogura and Dewan Rafiul Islam of Joypurhat. When caught during the operation by the Sri Lankan police in Mount Lavinia in the suburbs of Colombo, they had 272 kgs of heroin and 5 kgs of cocaine in their possession, amounting to around 1.52 billion taka in worth. The flat where the huge drug haul was recovered had been rented for a year by Shaheena Akhter in January 2018.Previously, on 15 December last year, a Bangladeshi woman named Surjomoni had been arrested with 32 kgs of heroin from the same area in Colombo’s suburbs.In the meantime, Sri Lanka’s Special Task Force (STF) interrogated Rafiul Islam on 3 January in presence of a Bangladeshi diplomat.Before being caught in Sri Lanka, on 12 August 2017 Jamaluddin had been arrested in Bangladesh by Bogura district police detective branch (DB) in the town’s Rupkatha Housing area with 30 yaba tablets. He was charged under the narcotics control act and the case remains under trial in the Bogura court.After Prothom Alo published news on 2 January of Jamaluddin’s arrest in Colombo, police searched his house in Bogura.The Bangladeshi woman in Sri Lankan policy custody had told them during interrogations that she could only understand Bangla. However, it was later discovered she also could speak in English and Singhalese.Meanwhile in Bangladesh, the Foreign Ministry has called for an inter-ministerial meeting on Sunday to discuss what is to be done about the involvement of Bangladeshis in Sri Lankan drug trafficking.last_img read more

Undaunted by US backtracking Cuba forges ahead with new hotel plans

first_img<< Previous PostNext Post >> Travelweek Group Posted by Friday, May 11, 2018 Undaunted by U.S. backtracking, Cuba forges ahead with new hotel planscenter_img TORONTO — Cuba is aiming for at least 103,000 new hotel rooms and eight new hotels by 2030.The Cuba Tourist Board has laid out its plans for tourism infrastructure growth and development from 2018 to 2030.The plan comes in response to what the Cuba Tourist Board says is consistently growing demand for the destination. More than a million Canadians visit Cuba every year. Overall Cuba received 4.7 million visitors in 2017, a 16.2% increase over 2016.Cuba began intensifying its hotel development plans in 2017. With an annual hotel infrastructure growth rate of 10%, collaborative efforts between the government and international developers have led to the addition of over 2,500 hotels room each year.This growth rate is expected to swell as the country sets projections for 103,000 new rooms and at least eight new hotels by 2030, says the tourism board.The Hotel Varadero Internacional, the Prado y Malecón and the Packard Hotel in Havana are scheduled to open by 2019.More news:  Flights cancelled as British Airways hit by computer problemCuba is also set to add 23 nautical stations and marinas, 24 golf courses, and 47 entertainment facilities over the next 12 years. Cuba is already home to 10 world heritage sites, 14 national parks, and hundreds of national monuments.Securing foreign investment is crucial for the island’s development and Cuba tourism authorities have announced 87 management and development contracts with 19 international companies.These agreements will channel most of the investment from abroad into hotel rooms and theme parks, says the tourism board, while domestic investment goes to high-priority regions and provinces like Havana, Cienfuegos, Camaguey, Las Tunas and Holguin. Tags: Cuba Sharelast_img read more