Significant Digits For Wednesday July 29 2015

You’re reading Significant Digits, a daily digest of the telling numbers tucked inside the news.1 coachThat’s the number of female coaches in the NFL after Jen Welter was hired by the Arizona Cardinals as an assistant coaching intern. The NBA also has one female assistant coach, while MLB and MLS have no female coaches. As my colleague Leah Libresco tweeted: “We were going to graph the share of female coaches in men’s sports, but the bars were too small to see.” [FiveThirtyEight]4 jokesConan O’Brien is being sued for stealing jokes from Twitter. A man who says he was a longtime writer for Jay Leno claims an airline joke (wow, I’m laughing already) as well as jokes about Tom Brady, Caitlyn Jenner and the Washington Monument were pilfered from his feed and used on O’Brien’s show. Conan’s production company believes the suit is without merit. Coco, I’m gonna do you a solid: I’m tweeting a joke right now, just for you. I waive all rights, please feel free to use it in tonight’s monologue. [The Hollywood Reporter]8 farmsI’ve got my tent firmly pitched in the pro-cilantro camp, but my allegiance is being tested. The FDA has banned some cilantro imported from Mexico after investigators discovered “human feces and toilet paper in and around growing fields.” Eight of the 11 farms and packing houses investigated in the Mexican state of Puebla had “objectionable conditions” and five were linked to hundreds of outbreaks in the U.S. of cyclosporiasis. [CNN]15 percentShare of Americans who do not use the Internet. They must be so happy. [Pew Research Center]63.5 percentHomeownership in the U.S. is at a 48-year low. The seasonally adjusted homeownership rate is now 63.5 percent, down from pre-recession highs of above 69 percent. Both the homeowner and rental vacancy rates, however, have also fallen. This means a tight housing market — to which I can anecdotally attest, having recently hunted for an apartment — and a possible boon to the economy in ensuing construction. [The Wall Street Journal]200 to 400 feetAmazon has proposed that some prime (get it?) airspace, from 200 to 400 feet off the ground, be reserved for high-speed drones. The company has visions of one day delivering its packages by drone. [The Guardian]10,000 textsTom Brady’s four-game “Deflate-gate” suspension has been upheld by the NFL. In a statement on the decision, the league said Brady had destroyed his cellphone, despite investigators’ requests to access it. The phone had been used to exchange 10,000 text messages over four months — or just more than 80 texts a day. Even still, Brady’s got nothing on the 18 to 24 set — those kids send and receive more than 125 texts a day! [The Washington Post]$50,000 in bunny careAfter 103 rabbits were seized from her home, a Brooklyn woman has been ordered to pay $50,000 for their care. The bunnies had become celebrities in their neighborhood. [New York Post]$2 million a yearYou have to pay about $1,500 to license the song “Happy Birthday.” Yeah, that “Happy Birthday.” Two filmmakers upset by that fact have uncovered evidence that they say negates Warner/Chappell Music’s 1935 copyright and puts the song in the public domain. The copyright has at some points netted its owners about $2 million a year. [Ars Technica]304 million core usersTwitter’s stock price slumped more than 11 percent Tuesday, after slower than expected growth in its average monthly users. The company said it now has 304 million “core users.” That’s up from 302 million last quarter, but the growth was the slowest since the company went public. [Reuters]Don’t worry, Walt Hickey’s return is nigh. But today, for those of you who a) use the Internet and b) are on Twitter, if the significance of a digit moves you, please tweet it to me @Ollie. And have a super Wednesday!If you haven’t already, you really need to sign up for the Significant Digits newsletter — be the first to learn about the numbers behind the news. read more

David Luiz warns Chelseas rivals Anything can happen

first_imgDavid Luiz refuses to rule out a Chelsea title challenge this season, despite recent result not going in their favourAgainst expectations, Maurizio Sarri’s side got off to a strong start for the 2018/19 Premier League campaign by winning their opening five matches.But a 3-1 defeat to Tottenham last month derailed their title hopes with Chelsea since suffering another loss at Wolves recently.The Blues now trail leaders Liverpool by 11 points, albeit with a game in hand, and appear set for a season-long top-four battle.But Brazilian defender Luiz, who has won the Premier League across his six seasons at Chelsea, is refusing to throw in the towel yet.“Everybody knows the Premier League is so difficult, we have to think step by step,” Luiz told Sky Sports.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“Of course the boss tries to give us the maths and to give us one direction to follow and we trying to get the points to be there and fighting for the title not just for the top four.”The former Paris Saint-Germain player is certain aiming for the title is a realistic objective for Chelsea.“Yes, I think so but with humility, with our feet on the ground, thinking step by step,” Luiz added.“Of course we lost some points and it could be better for us at the moment but everybody knows in this league everybody can win against everybody.“It’s not my first Premier League [season] so I know anything can happen.”Chelsea will host Leicester City today at Stamford Bridge with kick-off set for 16:00 (CET).last_img read more

PHOTOS Wilmington Sons Of Italy WHS Band Parents Hold Successful Giant Yard Sale

first_imgLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedCOMING SOON: Wilmington Sons of Italy & WHS Band Parents To Hold Huge Yard Sale On September 7In “Community”Wilmington Sons of Italy & WHS Band Parents To Hold Huge Yard Sale On September 7In “Community”POSTPONED: Wilmington Flea Market Rescheduled From September 7 To October 19 Due To Expected StormIn “Community” WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Sons of Italy and Wilmington High School Band Parents held their annual Yard Sale fundraiser on Saturday, September 8, from 8am to 3pm, in the Town Common parking lot.Below are 20+ photos from the event courtesy of Sons of Italy member Lennie Malvone:last_img read more

Town Wants To Add 4 New Firefighter Positions First Staffing Increase Since 2009

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Town Manager Jeff Hull recently announced he would like to include the addition of four new firefighter positions in next fiscal year’s budget.“For more than a year, the Fire Department has consistently been short staffed due to long term work injury, personal injury, retirements or military deployments,” explained Hull in his annual budget message. “Since staffing levels cannot be reduced below current levels without impacting service, each absence has been filled at the overtime rate. Reducing overtime costs and adjusting the staffing levels to meet the current service demands cannot be completed in one fiscal year. However, adding four firefighter privates will begin to address these issues.”Hull stressed that the Fire Department hasn’t received any staffing increases since 2009, while their workload has risen dramatically.“The numbers of runs reported in 2009 totaled 3,364. This statistic reflects ambulance runs, responses to fire radio boxes, and fire responses,” revealed Hull. “For the most current reporting period, 2018, the Fire Department reported 4,192 runs, an increase of 24.6% over that nine-year period.”The cost for the additional four fire personnel is projected to cost $257,628.In response to a question from Selectman Ed Loud, Hull acknowledged more hires may be budgeted in future years. Fire Chief Joe McMahon and Deputy Chief Joe McMahon previously came in front of Selectmen and Finance Committee requesting the addition of 8 firefighter positions.“I’m suggesting there may be additional staff increases to come, but for Fiscal Year 2020, four is what we can manage,” said Hull. Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSelectmen Support Proposal To Hire EIGHT New Firefighters, First WFD Staffing Increase In A DecadeIn “Police Log”SELECTMEN NEWS: Board Supports Fire & Police Substation In North Wilmington; Town To Vote On Project In April 2020?In “Government”SELECTMEN NEWS: Finance Committee Call Special Meeting To Discuss IT Costs, Fire Dept. OT & New Fire EngineIn “Government”last_img read more

N Korea names delegates for interKorean talks

first_imgNorth Korea`s leader Kim Jong Un speaks during a New Year`s Day speech in this photo released by North Korea`s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on 1 January, 2018. Photo: ReutersNorth Korea has named its delegation for a rare high-level meeting with the South this week, the unification ministry in Seoul said Sunday, as Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe cautiously welcomed the talks.The two Koreas agreed Friday to hold their first official dialogue in more than two years and are expected to discuss the North’s participation in next month’s Winter Olympics in South Korea.The North Korean delegation for Tuesday’s meeting in the border truce village of Panmunjom will be led by Ri Son-Gwon, head of the North’s agency handling inter-Korean affairs, the ministry said.Pyongyang informed the South that four other officials will accompany Ri, it added, including those in charge of sports.The tentative rapprochement comes after the North’s leader Kim Jong-Un warned in his New Year speech that he had a nuclear button on his desk, but also said Pyongyang could send a team to the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.Seoul responded with an offer of talks and last week the hotline between the neighbours was restored after being suspended for almost two years.The message comes a day after South Korea suggested unification minister Cho Myoung-Gyon would lead its delegation for the upcoming talks.Kim said in his New Year speech that his country wished success for the Olympics, to be held from February 9-25, while Seoul and Washington have decided to delay their annual joint military drills — which always infuriate the North — until after the Games.The Japanese prime minister voiced cautious hopes for the talks but stressed that having a meeting for the sake of a meeting would be a waste.”The Olympics is a celebration of peace. I want to recognise that change,” Abe said in a recorded interview aired Sunday on national broadcaster NHK.His comments came as US President Donald Trump went a step further and said he was open to holding direct talks with Kim under certain conditions.The two Koreas have been separated by the world’s most heavily militarised border since the Korean War ended in a stalemate in 1953.In recent months, the North has held multiple missile launches and its sixth and most powerful nuclear test — purportedly of a hydrogen bomb — in violation of UN resolutions.Abe, who long has taken hawkish stance against the hermit state, said Japan must upgrade its defence capacity in the face of the North’s missile threats.He reiterated the importance of “maximising pressure” on Pyongyang in order to force Kim’s regime to change its policies and said North Korea had violated past agreements designed to stop its nuclear programmes, adding: “We cannot afford to be fooled again.”last_img