Mark Noble 1 Mark Noble will be available for West Ham’s first fixture after the international break against Newcastle after the red card he received against Liverpool was rescinded.The Hammers captain, who scored the second goal of his side’s 3-0 Premier League victory at Anfield, was sent off in the 78th minute when referee Kevin Friend judged him to have fouled Danny Ings.Noble insisted afterwards that his challenge was not even worthy of a yellow card and manager Slaven Bilic was equally critical, revealing his optimism that they would succeed with an appeal.“Great news,” tweeted West Ham co-owner David Gold. “Mark Noble’s red card has been rescinded and he will be available to play against Newcastle. Dg”After a busy conclusion to the summer transfer window in which West Ham recruited Victor Moses, on loan from Chelsea, Alex Song, on loan from Barcelona and both Nikica Jelavic and Michail on a permanent basis, Noble is expected to feature in a new-look team against Newcastle.
Chelsea star Eden Hazard has acknowledged he has not been ‘up to scratch’ for the Blues so far this season.The Belgian midfielder had a stellar 2014-2015 campaign and was recognised for his performances with the PFA and FWA Player of the Year awards as Chelsea sauntered to the title.But the Blues and Hazard, who is yet to score in the opening four games, have begun this season slowly, and he was the first to admit that individually and collectively Jose Mourinho’s charges have not been good enough.“It’s obvious. You don’t need to know too much about football to compare what I did last season and what I did this season. I’m not as good,” Hazard confessed in an interview with L’Equipe.“It’s more of a collective problem than an individual one. We’re professionals. We knew this season was going to be more difficult…but within the squad we have the quality to bounce back.“Individually and collectively, we’re not up to scratch. Starting with me.”Chelsea succumbed to a shock 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge on Saturday and are currently languishing in 13th in the Premier League table. 1
Arsenal are in the midst of another injury crisis ahead of a crucial run of games.EIGHT senior stars are currently sidelined after Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain became the latest names to join the Gunners’ casualty list, which also includes Aaron Ramsey.Arsene Wenger fears the injury problems could derail the club’s season as they prepare for three important fixtures in the next fortnight, a daunting Champions League trip to Bayern Munich sandwiched between Premier League clashes with Swansea and north London rivals Tottenham.Danny Murphy, however, has told talkSPORT that Wenger shouldn’t be too worried about being unable to call upon the likes of Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ramsey, as the ex-England ace is convinced that a shuffle of personnel can see them through this tricky period.Speaking on the Colin Murray show, Murphy said: “I think, especially with the Bayern game coming up, it might just mean that they are a bit more solid. Not necessarily better but just more solid than they would have been had they had these players fit.“In an ideal world you want all your players fit. I’m a big fan of all those lads that are injured, The Ox especially. But you could quite easily push Mesut Ozil from the number ten role to the right wing, which is where he has played when he won the World Cup with Germany. He could come in off that right side and be a goal threat.“Ozil is playing brilliantly at the moment and I know some Arsenal fans will question why you would want to play him out of position when he is playing so well. Well, needs must I’m afraid.“That would then free up the number ten role for Santi Cazorla, who is probably Arsenal’s most creative force in terms of his ability to see a pass.“That leaves a hole next to [Francis] Coquelin but it leaves a hole for someone who can help him with the defensive side and the obvious candidate for that is [Mathieu] Flamini. I know as well as all the Arsenal fans that Flamini isn’t the answer every game for a full season but for the sake of a month [he could be].“I saw him score the winner and play brilliantly at White Hart Lane. He is getting older but for the next few games, or up until the next set of internationals, I would put Flamini next to Coquelin and tell them not to move, especially for that big game in Munich.“Let Cazorla edge forward a bit more, stick Ozil on the right wing for a few weeks, and then [Olivier] Giroud of course will play up front because Walcott is out. I don’t think it is all doom and gloom. It is manageable for now.”
Jose Mourinho admitted he felt ‘betrayed’ by his players after Chelsea slumped to another defeat at Leicester on Monday night.The Blues lost their ninth game of the season at the King Power Stadium, with Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez scoring to keep up the Foxes’ remarkable run of form.Chelsea, who grabbed a consolation through Loic Remy, are now just a point above the relegation zone and a staggering 20 points behind Claudio Ranieri’s leaders.It has been a disastrous season for the champions and Mourinho blasted his players for ignoring his orders in his post-match press conference.After admitting he feels ‘ashamed’ by their lowly position, he said: “One of my best qualities is that I can read the game and identify the strengths of the opponent and tell my players what they are. So it is a big frustration to accept the goals because my work was betrayed, if that is the right word.“I worked four days on this match. I prepared everything related to the opponent. I identified four movements where they scored almost all their goals.“My players got all that information, you can ask them, they are honest guys who will tell you it is true. But in the situations I identify, we concede the first and second goal. The mistakes were there.“But Leicester fought with everything and defended with everything and they deserved it.” Chelsea’s fall from grace is remarkable – they stand 16th in the table – and Mourinho offered an explanation that asked fresh questions of his players.“One possibility is that I did an amazing job last season and brought the players to a level that is not their level and now they can’t maintain it,” he said.Eden Hazard limped off with a hip injury during the first half and despite Mourinho encouraging him to play on, the Belgian appeared to dismiss his boss before walking off down the tunnel.On Hazard’s injury, the Portuguese said: “In 10 seconds, Hazard made the decision to come off himself. It must be something serious.”Asked if Chelsea were out of the race for the top four, he replied: “Yes, clearly.”
It appears Leicester and Arsenal have just been handed a massive boost in the race for the Premier League title.Kevin De Bruyne, Man City’s £54m summer signing, has been ruled out for 10 weeks after injuring his knee and ankle in the League semi-final win against Everton.City are second in the Premier League, three points behind leaders Leicester, with Arsenal sitting in third place on goal difference.The Belgium international has scored five Premier League goals and created nine in 19 games and fans believe De Bruyne being ruled out could be beneficial to their title chances. How Leicester and Arsenal fans reacted to news of Kevin De Bruyne’s injury 1
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! One that started near Magic Mountain is heading southwest toward Simi Valley, but is still a good 10-15 miles away, a Ventura County Fire Department dispatcher said. Fire personnel are conducting precautionary evacuations in the area of Tapo Canyon Road and Bennett Road on the city’s north side. SANTA CLARITA – Another fire has broken out in the Santa Clarita Valley and is threatening homes, authorities said. Firefighters are evacuating residents of a mobile-home park and condominium complex at Soledad Canyon and Sand Canyon roads just above the 14 Freeway, a Los Angeles County Fire Department dispatcher said. The fire started about 10:40 p.m. It’s only two acres but is very close to homes, the dispatcher said. There already are three fires burning in the Santa Clarita area that have been charred close to 80,000 acres combined.
POLITICS: Ronald Deaton has been on medical leave since July. Leaders praise his prowess for deal-making. By Kerry Cavanaugh and Rick Orlov STAFF WRITERS Ending a four-decade career as one of the most powerful figures in Los Angeles city government, Ronald Deaton announced Friday that he will retire as head of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. Deaton has been offered a $267,500 retirement settlement and a life insurance policy that could cost $50,000 in exchange for leaving now. He could have stayed on medical disability for two years at his full $344,000-a-year salary, but the mayor would not have been able to appoint a new general manager. Deaton leaves a utility struggling to upgrade its aging infrastructure while under fire for its spending habits and rich employee contracts. Now the utility is trying to pass rate hikes – developed under Deaton’s leadership – that are proving a hard sell with neighborhood councils. The City Council next week will consider a plan to increase electricity rates by 9percent over the next three years and water rates 6percent over two years. Councilwoman Jan Perry, who chairs the council’s Energy and Environment Committee overseeing the DWP, said Deaton will be difficult to replace because of his skills as a career bureaucrat and a policymaker. “The job has an enormous challenge and is a complicated job to complete,” Perry said. “Whoever comes in is going to have to make a strong case to the council and, more importantly, to the public on the need to raise rates and do the work we need to upgrade what we have.” Plus, she said, the new manager will have to try to improve the DWP’s tarnished image and mend relations with the community. Deaton began his career with the city in 1965 as a DWP budget researcher. He moved on to the Chief Legislative Analyst’s Office, where he spent nearly four decades advising city leaders on varied issues, including police reform and power rates. Deaton solidified his role as adviser to the City Council during the decadelong debate – and 2002 vote – over San Fernando Valley secession. He emerged as a spokesman for the city – and sometimes the lightning rod for criticism among those seeking to break away. “From his first day on the job at the age of 22, this is a man who literally did it all for Angelenos,” Villaraigosa said in a statement. “He kept the lights on through fires and blackouts. He balanced the books. He helped build parks, police stations and libraries. He kept us united as one city.” Supported and mentored by then-council President John Ferraro, Deaton was often referred to as the 16th council member because of his ability to forge consensus among the council and his encyclopedic knowledge of the city, its operations and its budget. “He had the ability to convince council members to do things they may not have wanted to do,” said Councilman Greig Smith, who was a longtime council staffer before being elected. “He did it with intelligence and humor.” That ability to corral support and influence decision makers gave Deaton the unofficial title of most powerful bureaucrat in City Hall. In 2004, Deaton was appointed DWP general manager by then- Mayor James Hahn, who said he wanted a manager to clean up the troubled department. At the helm of the nation’s largest public utility, Deaton and the commission began to scrutinize expensive contracts and cut waste. And he attempted to lessen the influence on management of the DWP’s main union, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 18. “He tried to make an impact,” Smith said. “But he didn’t have the time to make the changes he needed to do.” email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.A longtime City Hall insider and an ultimate behind-the-scenes deal-maker, the 64-year-old Deaton has been on medical leave since July after suffering a severe heart arrhythmia while vacationing in Costa Rica with his family. Since then, there has been speculation that he would retire. Attorney H. David Nahai has even resigned from the DWP board in a move seen as preparation to be named the new general manager by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. On Friday, Deaton made his resignation official. “The challenges over the last several months are surpassed only by the difficult decision to retire from service in the city I hold so dear,” Deaton wrote in a letter to Villaraigosa. “What an honor it is to work alongside and live each day among many legendary figures of Los Angeles and the countless employees who work together for the betterment of this great city.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. By City News Service An employee of the City of Avalon was suspended Saturday while state game officials prepare criminal charges alleging that he used a knife to kill a deer that had gotten stuck in a soccer net. California Fish and Game Lt. Kent Smirl told The Los Angeles Times that the Catalina Island resident will be formally charged next week with cruelty to animals and illegal taking of a game animal. Although deer are currently in season, they can only be taken by arrow or bullet. Catalina Island residents have complained about emaciated, tick-ridden deer coming out of fire-ravaged, drought-stricken back country and eating their gardens. One Avalon resident said a starving deer attacked her dog.
California Highway Patrol officers will be out in force over the Thanksgiving weekend, the agency said today. The 102-hour “maximum enforcement period,” during which all available CHP officers will be deployed, begins at 6 p.m. and continues through midnight Sunday, said CHP Capt. Calvin Beard. “Our message is simple: drive safe, drive sober, and buckle up,” Beard said. “And Be prepared for traffic tie-ups, especially today or Sunday.” Beard reminded motorists to pay attention to bad weather and slow down when appropriate. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “Many crashes are caused by driving too fast for current conditions,” Beard said. During last year’s Thanksgiving holiday weekend, 42 people were killed in traffic accidents around the state, and 1,670 motorists were arrested by CHP officers for driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, Delgadillo said. In Los Angeles County, 10 people were killed in traffic accidents during that period, and 363 motorists were arrested by CHP officers for DUI violations. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!